At the moment i have only a 40d camera, which I use for the service-work too. Two days later I will go to a trip, so I wanted to check the AF etc. I connected to the PC, started the SPT software, but in the same time I worked on something else too – and the computer went to stadby – during started communication with the 40d.
Ok, 40d is not so sensitive, I started the program again – and the camera started to have a strange behavior. Sometimes was not reacting at all, then not going into Liveview mode, then giving ERR99 after shooting….After a half on hour of struggling, firmware update, digital data transfer from a former backup etc. etc I diceded to disassemble the camera, as the failercode was always communication error between internel boards.
I have found of course nothing, but I opened and closed all flexcable sockets, then I assembled the camera – and everithing was OK! As the body was already open I changed the exposure buttons switch and I greased the big wheel on the back cover.
I glued the rubber cover with some double sided adhesive tape (I hate this – and it was a perfectly meaningless work, still it has not to be paid…). Anyway, I finished this in approx 2 hours.
The camera was working!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And today I realised, that I have forgotten to back a small flex cable on the backcover – in the inside.
Disassembling again, 2 seconds the “repair” – and then glueing again the rubber cover 🙂
Never give up. A bad electrical contact can produce any idiot sympthome. Just check all the sockets always twice.